Saturday, September 10, 2011

Walking with my Daddy

This past week I began my journey with God as I started my new job teaching early preschool at a learning center in downtown Minneapolis. After learning how to get on right bus, and not always being too successful at it may I add, and also working in a highly diverse setting again, through it all, God has been teaching me a lot! I would say that what God has been teaching me recently here in Minnesota equals that which God taught me when I was traveling and living overseas. It is pretty crazy actually, but it is true. I never thought that God would be able to teach me what I am learning when I am not overseas, but low and behold, He is! I am so ridiculous at times doubting the One and Only true God of the whole universe! Lord, forgive me!

As I was sitting on the bus one of the mornings last week, doing my morning devotions, it felt like all of sudden my eyes were opened to the world around me. I saw the people, broken and hurting, all walking through life hopeless. It broke my heart. I then felt God reminding me of why he has chosen me and saved me. I am to spread the message of hope, Jesus Christ, to the hopeless. Not only am I called to love the children I am teaching and help them grow and develop into who they are suppose to be, but I am suppose to shine my light for Jesus as I commute. It all became so real to me after stepping onto the bus and into the learning center that God really does have a plan and is using me right here in Minnesota. Now, my desire to travel and someday live in Haiti is not gone, but after being with my little students for a week, I see why for now God has me here. My class of 22 has 6 different ethnic groups represented in it. That's more than my class in Thailand! Some of my students don't speak very good English at all, even though they were born in America! It is such a beautiful sight though, seeing all the different children from all different backgrounds, all learning in the same place. I don't know all their background stories and religions, but I know that Satan is threatened by me already. I get the privilege to pray over the children all day long and just love them like Jesus as I teach them the basic learning skills and content. Thank you, Jesus!

If he brings us to it, HE will get us through it.

I am not going to lie one bit, some day my attitude just stinks when I think about what I really am sacrificing in teaching and commuting to Minneapolis. (And also, coming to grips with the fact that I am not teaching in a school district yet or Haiti for that matter, like I had thought I would be, but that's not where God wants me right now!) Commuting isn't horrible, but it is definitely taking time to get use to. God has also been reminding me lately that when we follow him, he doesn't promise it to be easy, but he does promise to help us and walk with us. I am making some sacrifices, but knowing that I am doing exactly what God wants me to encourages me and energizes me! What better place to be than where God wants you!!! I am excited to see what God has in store for me this next year! It will most definitely not be smooth sailing, but it will be a great adventure and I will learn how to walk even more in step with God as he continues to lead me! Please pray for me as continue to adjust to my new position and new commute. God is good though! He has placed a very strong Christian teacher in my room to teach alongside of me :)

Walk with Him,
Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment