Thursday, August 12, 2010

Safe and Settled in Bangkok


Well, after my 28 hour trip over I am finally here! What a trip it was! Tokyo was absolutely crazy. My flight was delayed almost 3 and 1/2 hours due to mechanical issues with the plane, but I finally arrived in Bangkok at 2:00am and arrived at the school at about 3:30/4am (their time). It is extremely humid here (I am very thankful I have A/C) and it is the rainy season, but it is very beautiful. I haven't gotten out much, but hope too this weekend! After I unpacked and got settled in yesterday, Elsie took me to Central Bangkok, which is one of the biggest shopping malls with all kinds of fun stores (including many "western" stores and resturants) and it is only a few miles away :). There is even a Starbucks in Central Bangkok!!(Seriously, I really do have it all) I went grocery shopping and such. It is really nice because the majority of the signs are in Thai and then under the Thai is English. And almost all the resturants and stores in the area have English menus! It is so nice! Bangkok is a huge city and I am a city girl, I will be just fine here! I am close to everything!! I love it. I had my first Thai meal yesterday and it was very good! I can't wait to eat more Thai food! Driving is opposite here and so that is taking some adjusting, even though I am not driving it is interesting still. Thai people are so nice and they are very quite. Walking around yesterday was fun, but I am still processing everything and trying to get over jetleg, but I like it here. Everyone has been so welcoming and friendly, it has really made it easier to begin to adjust.

My apartment is very nice. I love it! I am on the top floor, the 4th floor, all the way on the end. On my floor are all the single lady teachers. All between the ages of 22 and 26! I met my neighbor Jessica yesterday, I haven't met anyone else yet, but will today. We are all going to downtwon Bangkok. I love how God works though because Jessica and I are so alike! She is 24 and will be teaching 4th grade (one grade above me) and this is her first full year of teaching! She is such a blessing! We talked for a while over coffee yesterday and I am excited to get to know her better. I know she will be a big help to me while I am here. It is nice to have someone to call a friend! I just absolutely love how God knows exactly what he is doing! He is so completely faithful, from the big things, all the way down to the small things.. it blows my mind.

Monday I will start teaching. Yesterday and today are holidays so there is no school until Monday anyway. I am beginning to prep a little bit though and am very anxious to get into the classroom and meet the students. Claudia told me a little about her class and it is going to be a wonderful class to work with.

That is all I can really think about right now. I am still adjusting, but seriously, I can't say it enough, God is so wonderfully faithful and I am clinging to him still as I continue to discover Thai culture, make a few mistakes, and get over jetleg! He is faithful :) Thank you to everyone for your prayers! Pleae keep praying for me as I start teaching and continue to go through adjusting. I know my days will not always be perfect and I will have difficult days. This is where I am suppose to be though! God has me, I can feel his arms around me! It is the best feeling. Well, time to get ready for the day. I am going with a few other single lady teachers to downtown in a little bit!

In Him,
Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment