Saturday, August 14, 2010

A city of 10 million


Bangkok is a wonderful city. It is hard to explain what it is like, but it is funny because as I was walking around yesterday with Jessica and Lissa, I felt almost at times as if I were in New York City and then a few seconds later like I was in Haiti and then in back in Bangkok. I guess the reasons are one, a city is a city. It has specific smells and sounds, but the reason I felt like I was in Haiti was because of some of the smells! It is crazy, but true. Also, though I think because of all the markets on the streets in certian places you just know that you are not in the states at all, but I feel more like I am back in Haiti. You can get things for so cheap at the market. You can also find some of the strangests things in the market too! I love the markets probably the best though. They are cheap and more fun to shop at. (You can usually bargin down a lot of things as well). Explaining Bangkok is a difficult thing to do though. Even through pictures, until you are here you can't fully understand what it is like. IT IS HUGE!! Think of Milwaukee...now triple that and spread it out all the way to Germantown (for those of you who live in Minnesota, take Minneapolis and St. Paul and double it!!) That is as good as I can get to giving a visual to how big this city is! I do love it though. It is filled with so many different kinds of people. The Thai people are very sweet and I am beginning to pick up on little words and sayings to communicate with them. It is funny though because I walking around on of the stores, which is across the street, today and they had western pop music playing (California Girlz to be exact lol). I felt as though I was back home. It was really strange, but sort of nice in a way.

I was able to finally get a tour of the school today and oh my word, it the most beautiful school I have ever seen. The set up is seriously awesome. I wish schools in the states had this set up. Hopefully I can take some pictures sometime and show everyone. The entire campus is big, but not confusing at all actually! I am going to love it. I saw Claudia's room and know I will fit right in. I am so anxious to get into the classroom. I wish it was Monday tomorrow!!

Tonight I ate at Pizza Hut, but what is interesting is that even though they have quite a few "western" resturants, they have crazy things at them that one can order that you would never find in America and their portion sizes are a lot smaller! My regular DQ blizzard was tiny, but very good!! It was another fun day getting even more situated and settled. My room is even more homey and getting to know Jessica and Lissa more has been wonderful. Yesterday, we went on an adventure exploring downtown Bangkok and it was really fun (picture on facebook). We went to Sima Ocean World and it was a blast. We also went to a few of the markets and got some good stuff for real cheap. I love that things are less expensive here! (Oh my, the rain is POURING!!! i can hardly think! it is the rainy season and all of sudden it will just start pouring for a few minutes and then stop and be done for hours...it is crazy! lol). Tomorrow I am going to a Thai church with Jessica. I really like having her as a friend to help me around because I am just not comfortable going places (in which a taxi or bus is required to get there) alone yet. I thank God that he placed her in my life here!

Thailand is very wonderful and I know these 10 weeks I am here are going to be some of the most amazing weeks of my life, but I still miss Haiti and have wished a few times I was there instead of here, BUT this is where God wants me and therefore I will focus on doing my best here, getting to know THIS city and THESE people and children (and students). I think once I meet my students and get to teaching my feelings will change. Don't get me wrong, I want to touch the lives of the people in this community and country. It is just that I still do miss Haiti. Especially when some of the smells make me think I am in Haiti. I am very much excited though to see all that God has in store for me while I am here! :) He knows what he is doing!!

Learning to Trust the Lord day by day,
Katelyn Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment